There are over 2.1 billion presbyopes worldwide. Looking into the shortcomings, eyecare providers have a unique opportunity and responsibility improving their quality of life.
Presbyopia along with dysfunctional lens syndrome is treated keeping refractive status of patient in mind.
- Hyperopic patient treated with an earlier lens based procedure, myopes have a higher threshold for lens procedure and lower threshold for cornea based procedure or ICL.
The surgical options that can be considered for presbyopia management are:
- Monovision (for patients in 40-50 age group)
- PRK, LASIK, SMILE
- Inlays (Kamra inlay, Flexivue Microlens)
- PresbyLASIK, PRESBYOND, INTRACOR
- Lens based- Trifocal lenses, EDOF lenses, presbyopia correcting refractive implants
The pharmacologic treatment under development are:
- AGN-190584(Allergan): It is an optimised formulation of pilocarpine
- Nyxol (Ocuphire Pharma): Preservative free ophthalmic solution of 0.75%-1% phentolamine.
- CSF-1 (Orasis Pharmaceuticals)
- PRX-100( Presbyopia Therapies)
- BRIMOCHOL (Visus Therapeutics)
Reference Source – https://www.eyeworld.org/2021/presbyopia-treatment-options-now-and-on-the-horizon/